DIY Accent Wall: Accents by Woodgrain
This DIY Accent Wall is made with Accents by Woodgrain, which is a unique way to completely transform a wall. Each piece is a unique mix of individual pieces of reclaimed hardwoods varying in color, texture and thickness creating a truly unique look that is easy to install. Watch our video and follow the steps below to see how you can build a beautiful reclaimed wood accent wall like this in just one day! If you’re looking for more accent wall ideas, click here.
- Liquid Nails
- Measuring tape
- Nail gun and finishing nails (2” nails)
- Accents by Woodgrain Reclaimed Wood Tiles
HOW TO INSTALL:
Step 1: Measure Your Wall
Measure the wall height and width, and make sure you take into consideration outlets, windows and light switches. This will help you get a feel for how many tiles you will need. We recommend adding 10-15% of extra square footage for waste and cuts. Keep in mind each box of tiles covers 5.75 square feet.
Step 2: Put Liquid Nails On Tiles
You should put liquid nails on the back side of the tiles. You don’t need a lot, a small amount in the middle and on two opposite corners of each tile is enough.
Step 3: Install Tiles
Install tiles on your wall with a nail gun. You might have to cut some of the tiles when you run into outlets, but this should be pretty minimal. Pro tip: Be sure to use a level as you go along, before nailing the tiles in.
Enjoy your beautiful accent wall!
HELPFUL TIPS WHEN CREATING AN ACCENT WALL
- Choose a balanced, unobstructed wall that stands out.
- Choose rooms or spaces where you want to make an impact. Bedrooms, living rooms and entryways are great spaces to create a custom look. Select spaces where guests will see it, or where you spend a good amount of your time.
- Bold colors really make a statement. Dark greens, grey, black and blue are currently in.
- White accent walls make a statement without being too bold.
- Try to pick a style of accent wall that complements the look of your home and room; just because you like a modern style wall doesn’t mean it’s the best pick for a colonial style room.
- Go in with a plan and draw out your design before beginning.
- Find 2-3 moulding profiles that you think will achieve the look you’re going for. Then, take each sample and place it on the wall to see which you like the best.
- Create a jig if you have to repeat a cut. This will save time and help with consistency.
- Use hot glue to apply moulding first so that you can adjust the moulding if needed. Then use finishing nails to secure the moulding.
- Rent a nail gun, use your own or use an adhesive.
- Once everything is in place, apply more nails to ensure it is long lasting.
- Use putty to the nail holes rather than caulking for a better finish.
- If using a paint sprayer, keep 1.5 to 2” of space between you and the wall for an even application.
- Take your time in the finishing stage. The little details when you finish will make the wall look more polished.
- We estimate that creating an accent on a 12′ x 8′ wall can cost around $200. This includes paint, moulding, tool rentals and other materials. You can save money by using tools from your home or borrowing from friends.