How does the position contribute to the success of the operation, division and company?
The Controller is a key member and business partner and path finder with the Site Operations Team. The Controller must have the ability to plan, organize and provide analysis in all phases of the accounting process to assure the facility has the tools needed to operate in an efficient, profitable manner. The Controller role includes developing and maintaining a close working relationship with the Site Manager, Production and Support Departments by providing analytical support and data in a timely manner and a driver for a continuous improvement process environment.
|Expectations and Performance Measures What measures or metrics will the individual be measured on and what level of performance is required? Other duties may be assigned.|
Key Job Accountabilities:
· Commitment to working in a team oriented and continuous improvement environment.
· High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
· Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
· Ability to define and analyze problems and develop timely and effective solutions.
· Demonstrate skills in planning, implementing, monitoring, and reporting.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities with an analytical methodology.
· Must have strong problem solving and decision making skills with the judgment to identify and escalate issues of high importance or risk to management
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and accomplish assignments through the work of others
· Must work well with diverse personalities and be able to gain respect and influence among coworkers
· Exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written)
· Pro Active and hands on.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality on all assignments. Share only with those that need to know.
· Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma methodologies
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other, as assigned):
· General Accounting –
o Ensure compliance with Woodgrain Millwork policies/procedures.
o Maintain General Ledger with regards to GAAP.
o Establish/Define/Maintain Fruitland’s accounting practices, processes, procedures, and initiatives in conjunction with Corporate Accounting policies as well as with Site Management.
o Ensure accuracy of financial statements including balance sheet, income statement, trial balance and statement of cash flows.
o Oversee preparation and review of Balance Sheet review, and quarterly variance analysis.
o Oversee monthly inventory reconciliation comparing General Ledger accounts to the Physical Inventory Report.
o Oversee monthly financial close process. Review and approve all journal entries and SAP Closing tasks.
o Oversee Captial project spend and fixed asset reconciliation.
o Oversee/facilitate/coordinate the preparation of the budget including strategy planning exercises, capital budgeting, sales budgeting, material cost budgeting and labor and overhead budgeting.
o Organize and conduct monthly site financial reviews with Division and Site management.
· Reporting –
o Oversee timely and accurate preparation of monthly financial comparative, trend statement and incentive metrics.
o Update and Maintain product line profitability statement and work with site manager to analyze Gross Margin by product line.
o Maintain residuals income statement reporting.
o Prepare and update monthly financial forecasts for sales and net income.
o Conversion Cost analysis – Labor and Overhead.
o Oversee OEE development and reporting by work center.
o Maintain Custhop batch reporting, yield and test analysis to assist planning and scheduling in optimizing lumber mix.
o Analyze Fingerjoint blank costs.
o Review Inventory Reporting/Turns
o Review weekly maintenance and storeroom spending report.
o Review weekly sales report.
o Review labor hours report and overtime hours by department.
o Maintain Financial Reporting in VENA for Site.
o Oversee LIFO report preparation by Site Accouting Manager.
· Cost Accounting –
o Oversee the SAP portion of the close process which allocates manufacturing variances over production orders and posts an updated WIP balance to the balance sheet.
o Analyze production order variances from standard cost.
o Work in conjunction with Master Data to maintain accurate standard costing for all mateirials, Including Bill-of-material and route accuracy.
o Provide product costing analysis to link production and sales to help make better decisions on run size, product costs and sell price to maximize margins. Assist in targeting best products.
o Perform make vs buy analysis for manufacturing Fingerjoint blanks vs buying from the outside.
o Work with the cutshop to maintain relative values for scanner decisions on product offering.
o Develop and Maintain machine budgets used in OEE reporting.
o Assist in identifying/calculating financial benefits for all Continuous Impromement Teams and initiatives.
o Oversee monthly AVG Lumber Cost worksheet preparation.
· Managerial –
o Oversee performance and development of financial staff including the site accounting manager, staff accountant and Sr accounting clerks.
o Perform annual performance reviews and goals for accounting staff.
o Research and suggest continued education and training opportunities for local accounting staff.
þ Displays high integrity and honesty þ Displays technical or professional expertise
þ Solves problems and analyzes issues þ Drives for results
þ Communicates powerfully and prolifically þ Builds relationships
|Knowledge/Skills/Education and Continuous Training
What skills/certification/education must the individual have/maintain/gain? Include any degrees, certifications, and licenses required.
Education, Experience and Certifications:
· Working knowledge of MS office with a strong proficiency in Excel
· SAP experience preferred.
· Management and Supervision: Manages the functions of the Plant Accounting Department. Supervises, mentors, develops, and leads the Accounting staff members.
|Physical Demands and Work Environment
What working conditions or physical functions are normally required to perform the essential functions of the job?
· Primarily an office environment.
· Sit for long durations during the day. View computer screen
· Requires close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
· Regularly required to use hands to finger (typing), handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk/ hear.
· Regular bending, stooping, stretching, twisting, and turning.
· Required to stand, and walk as necessary.
· Exposed to moving mechanical parts, air borne dust/debris, heavy equipment traffic, slip/trip hazards in the manufacturing environment. Proper PPE is required in the manufacturing areas.
· Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (hot, cold, etc.)
· Minimal travel required